Director Of Nephrology & Rmh Kidney Care
The Royal Melbourne Hospital
As one of the largest hospitals in Victoria, and a team of more than 10,000 strong, we provide a comprehensive range of specialist medical, surgical, and mental health services; as well as rehabilitation, aged care, outpatient and community programs. We are a designated state-wide provider for services including trauma, and we lead centres of excellence for tertiary services in several key specialties including neurosciences, nephrology, oncology, cardiology and virtual health.
Surrounded by a Parkville Precinct of brilliant thinkers, we collaborate to set new benchmarks in health excellence – benchmarks that impact across the globe. While the work we do takes us in inspiring new directions; caring for each other, our patients and consumers is as essential to who we are, as any scientific breakthrough we make. We put people first - leading with kindness and working together, we excel as one Royal Melbourne Hospital.
RMH Nephrology Unit and RMH Kidney Care
The Melbourne Health Renal Service encompasses all aspects of the care of patients with kidney disease – Nephrology, Dialysis, Transplantation and Nephrology Surgery (collectively known as RMH Kidney Care).
The Department of Nephrology is one of Australia’s largest and oldest renal services and is based at the Royal Melbourne Hospital Parkville Campus with extensive outreach through the RMH Kidney Care network. The Department delivers a continuum of care for people with chronic kidney disease (CKD) and kidney failure including CKD care, transplantation, dialysis, conservative care and end of life care. Our inpatient, outpatient, outreach and remote services are designed to be appropriate and timely to meet a broad range of patient needs. Services are developed in consultation and collaboration with our patients, families, partner health services, primary health care and community services. Regular referrals largely derive from central and north-west Melbourne and regional Victoria. As one of Australia’s largest and most dynamic renal transplant units, the Department works collaboratively through a shared care model to provide transplant services to Tasmania, non-transplanting renal hubs, private dialysis units and other transplanting services by referral. The RMH Kidney Care includes 1 acute dialysis service (6W), 1 home training unit (RPC), 2 metropolitan dialysis units (Essendon and Coburg), and 23 regional dialysis units.
Areas of special consideration include live donor transplantation, ABO incompatible transplantation and home dialysis of all types. In 2018/19 140 renal transplants were performed by RMH Kidney Care and currently over 1200 transplant patients and over 530 maintenance dialysis patients are under our care. In 2017, RMH was successful in its bid to host the Australian Paired Kidney Exchange (AKX) program.
- Provide strategic and operational leadership of the RMH Nephrology service to ensure evidence based best practice and contemporary models of care.
- Build a culture of robust professional relationships with key stakeholders to strengthen standards of clinical care, patient safety, professional ethics, education and research.
- Drive performance through outstanding people leadership, instilling a high performing culture to ensure your team is engaged and patients receive the best quality care.
- Undertake critical business analysis to identify trends and opportunities to foster a responsive, future focused contemporary culture which supports staff to deliver true excellence in patience care.
Essential Experience and Skills
- You are an influential medical leader with a track record of driving change across a complex health care environment.
- You are a registered medical practitioner (MBBS, FRACP and higher research degree), and an innovator with an unwavering commitment to the delivery of quality, contemporary, patient focused care.
- You are a natural leader, with strong communication and influencing skills and highly developed advocacy, analytical and conceptual skills.
Our Commitment to you
Here at the RMH we strive for excellence with a strong purpose that defines the work we do for our community – Advancing health for everyone, every day. This is the Melbourne Way.
We believe our success comes from our people. We’re committed to the RMH being a great place to work and a great place to receive care. We have made a long-term commitment to strengthen our organisational culture through leadership, education and empowering our staff to Speak Up for themselves and each other.
This is a position where your passion and expertise can come together to create a truly defining career opportunity. It is a unique opportunity to help us transform the future of the RMH and ultimately ensure we continue to deliver world class healthcare.
For a confidential discussion please contact Associate Professor Leeanne Grigg.
Director of Cardiology
Divisional Director of Cardiovascular, Renal and Endocrinology Services
Ph. 03 9342 7589
The Royal Melbourne Hospital is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity, ethical practice, and the principles of Cultural Diversity and social inclusion.
All appointments are made subject to a satisfactory Criminal History Record Check and a Working with Children Check. Successful applicants will be required to provide evidence of an immunisation assessment prior to commencement.
To view and apply for this job on the web visit: