Glen Waverley South Primary School is committed to lifelong learning by providing an inclusive, supportive and nurturing community in which diversity is valued and celebrated. Our innovative curriculum and culture of excellence creates a stimulating learning environment that engages and challenges students to achieve personal success and make positive contributions to society.
The vision of the Glen Waverley South Primary School community is underpinned by the value of RESPECT, highlighted through our focus on:
- Trust & Honesty
Glen Waverley South Primary School is located in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne in the City of Monash. The buildings are surrounded by spacious, well maintained grounds with an abundance of shaded areas, age appropriate playground equipment, an oval and a variety of outdoor courts catering for various sporting activities. Glen Waverley South Primary School shares the same site as Brentwood Secondary College and Greenland Childcare Centre. Major building works were completed in 2011 creating two new Learning Studios and a multipurpose centre.
The open learning environment facilitates 21st century pedagogy. A new state of the art multipurpose facility enriches the Physical Education, Visual Arts, Performing Arts, Instrumental Music and the Out of School Hours Care programs. Features include a full sized basketball stadium with change rooms, stimulating visual arts and music studios and a spacious well resourced out of school hours care area with a modern kitchen. The school has a fully networked Information Communication Technology Global Learning Centre, Library and Science room. Each learning space is equipped with an interactive whiteboard and all students have access to ipads, digital cameras, voice recorders, laptops and computers.
The learning community at Glen Waverley South Primary School is committed to the improvement and enhancement of student learning in order to equip students for the future. All members of the school community, students, staff and parents, are open and committed to the shared vision of ongoing learning and continuous development in the provision of best educational practice. The learning community model of the school is characterised by:
A culture of:
- Lifelong and self-driven learning
- Commitment to personal growth, shared vision and team learning
- Assisting all students to embrace learning
- Excellence and
- Connectedness through strong community partnerships
Dedicated teachers delivering an exemplary Learning and Teaching program that facilitates:
- Achievement of academic, social, emotional and physical potential
- A stimulating learning environment where students are highly engaged and motivated
- Inclusive, innovative and challenging curriculum
- Curriculum design which caters for individual learning needs
- Engaging personalised learning experiences
- Student goal setting
- Explicit teaching of literacy and numeracy skills and
- Inquiry based learning
A learning environment that:
- Provides equal opportunities and values diversity
- Develops knowledge and values
- Promotes student Leadership opportunities
- Is positive, safe, supportive & cooperative
- Equips students with skills and knowledge to cope successfully in an ever-changing world through supportive programs that include a comprehensive transition program, an engaging buddy system, access to our social welfare service (Chaplain) and a values-based wellbeing program (You Can Do It).
Specialist teachers provide expertise in the areas of Visual Arts, Performing Arts, LOTE (Japanese), Physical Education and Sport and Reading Recovery. Electives are a major feature of our Level 5 and Level 6 specialist programs. In addition to the core curricula, enrichment programs are provided by way of an Instrumental Music Program, Choir, Rock Band, School Production, Excursions, Camps, Environmental club, Work Safe for Kids club, Sports, Special Religious Instruction and lunchtime clubs. The school provides high quality, registered programs for Outside School Hours Care, including Before School Care, After School Care, Curriculum/Pupil Free Days and Vacation Care.
At Glen Waverley South Primary School we are proud of our friendly and inclusive culture. Our school is enriched by a diverse and multicultural community. Glen Waverley South Primary School has a strong tradition of parent and community partnerships. An active School Council, Junior School Council and numerous volunteers represent a learning community committed to the vision of the school.